Sunday, November 8, 2009

As long as we're talking candy...

So, I read on my friend's blog about her favorite candies... makes sense... there's sure a lot of it around our post-halloween infested house! I have a few thoughts about this candy business...
   1. I now understand why parents are so plagued by their kids getting too much halloween candy... first, I don't want to eat it all. I'm working hard to not touch it
   2. It is constantly on our minds. I feel bad having to ration it for the family, but lets face it... none of us need that sort of sugar intake!
   3. We can't even GIVE it away! I've tried, but it seems everyone has this problem of too much candy. Strange times we live in:)
   4. I have heard of a couple solutions... my favorite is a dentist in Laramie, one of our good friends, offered to buy candy from the kids (up to five lbs. worth) and is then packaging it and sending it to the troops in Iraq. That is a great idea! I wish we could've donated ours:)
   5. My favorite candy is the kind that is out of my house! I like chocolate, but if I'm choosing a sinful sweet, it is hands down cookies. Keep your yucky candy:) The boys in my house love anything sweet though.
   6. Why is it that sugar products have to be so bad for you? I think just looking at them makes me gain weight... too bad.

Anyway, enough candy ranting... If any of you have a great idea on a way to dispose of this candy without actually disposing of it, let me know! I'm open to suggestion!

4 comments:

  1. Hi, Jamie! I hope you don't mind me being the first follower. :) I think it is a great idea for you and I look forward to reading!

    And on the subject of this post- since I am an obsessed dieter and all lately :)- last night I was wondering when and why did we as a people feel the need to insert processed and refined sugar into whatever??? I mean isn't natural sweet things enough? Adding a cinnamon stick to your natural cocoa, or stevia (it is awesome!), and I can't think of any more right now, but you get my point... :)

    Have a great week, btw!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a GREAT idea (not really). I have a friend that takes the little mini candy bars from her kids trick-or-treating candy and bakes them into cookies. Actually, the best thing I have come up with is just chucking the awful, but yummy stuff. Sometimes that is the only way I can stay away from it and I'm not as creative as I would like to be.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha! I love stevia too:) and I'm with you Caitlin... I can't imagine HOW the processed obsession started, but I'm really trying NOT to make it the center of my poor kiddos' world! I actually decided to freeze the candy bars for treats to take to other people later:) The other sugar, I'm making Ben take to the other dental students for every group meeting he has:) So glad to have followers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This isn't exactly getting rid of the candy, but I always take out some and save it for Christmas stockings. That way the Halloween consumption isn't quite so much, and the Christmas candy is free!

    ReplyDelete