Sunday, November 29, 2009

Sick in the City

Just as luck has it, I am conquering my first illness in Phoenix. Lucky because Ben is still on break until Monday:) I wanted to post this in case any of you ever have similar symptoms. I know without the keen awareness and loving prodding of my "sister," Jen and "mother," LaJean, I would be in a heap of trouble! As most of you know, I am breastfeeding Zach. I have been nursing him now for 6 months. Wow! Six Months! I also nursed Ike for a year, so I'd like to think of myself as somewhat experienced in the matter:) Well, chalk one up to learning a lesson... Yesterday afternoon I noticed that I was awfully sore when nursing on one side... like the engorged soreness you feel when you first begin nursing. Anyway, as the day wore on, I realized it wasn't going away. I also noticed my breast was really hot and getting pinkish in spots. After a few hours, I also started feeling flu-like symptoms... achy body, headache, nausea, you get the picture... Anyway, as we were driving back from a little day trip to Anthem, I started putting it all together and remembering a story about Mastitis my mother in law had told me years ago. I remembered her saying that it was important to see a doctor immediately because Mastitis can have severe complications if left untreated including fevers above 104, milk ducts completely blocked (leading to surgical procedure to lance), etc. She was hospitalized with Mastitis several years ago... So, after a nice little chat with my "advisors," I made a trip to urgent care to get it checked out.
      Now comes the Sick in the City... Our insurance only approves certain Urgent Care centers, and it is a holiday weekend, so my choices were limited. I ended up at a good one, but a busy one. I sat in a waiting room with about 15 sick people for 2 HOURS! Ughh! I just kept getting out my bath and body tangerine lime hand sanitizer and trying to breathe my own air. Luckily I had a few people to text or I would've been going crazy(er). Anyway, because of the sicknesses going around, etc. Ben had to wait in the car and at Quiznos next door with our kids (as our good friends are all out of town) and I needed him to drive me... not to mention, I had to feed Zach halfway through my wait. Luckily, the receptionist was nice enough to let me nurse in the car and then call me when it was my turn. It just wasn't very safe to bring in my unvaccinated child;)
       In the end, the doc took one look at me and knew it was mastitis. I am on an antibiotic and tylenol, and obviously not sleeping very well having lots of flu like symptoms. He said I should be feeling better in a couple of days. I am just feeling really blessed to be able to go to the doctor when I need to and to have a mother in law, and sister in law good enough to teach me about things like this and strong enough to tell me to get to the doc immediately. If I would've waited, I know my fever would've been really really bad. So, life will be good, and for now, I'm trying to not work too hard... we'll see how that goes:)

3 comments:

  1. Oh man! Mastitis is THE WORST. I've had it about 3 times and it's just not fun. So sorry. Yes, antibiotics and you'll feel a lot better. Sorry that we're not closer to you guys. Ben and the boys could've come hung out with us. I also have had great luck with the Take Care Clinics at select Walgreens and the Minute Clinic at CVS. They take most insurance. (I sound like an advertisement..haha.) Hang in there! We should meet up at the temple to see the lights or something?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I feel so bad for you! I'm glad that you got it taken care of so that it did not get worse. I had that with gavin and it is scary to be sick when you have a little baby that you have to take care of. I have thought a couple of times lately I was getting it, but luckily it passed!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was really feeling for you. I am glad things worked out, even though it was a little crazy. Love you so much!

    ReplyDelete