Thursday, November 5, 2009

Gotta Have an Opinion... Binkies

This little modern marvel has saved my life on oh so many occasions over the past 3 years that I feel a great need to share with you my love for the binkie, and my warnings... To begin, as a new mother, I had read so many negative things about binkies... they can cause future dental issues for your child, they can be full of germs, addictions, nipple confusion, etc. I decided, and held to, my decision to not use a binkie with Ike while in the hospital. However, once we got home, I realized that this little boy LOVES and NEEDS to suck... He wasn't hungry, but had that need most of the time as a newborn. So, with the good advice of my mom, we set out to find a binkie. I think we bought every brand we could think of... I have really wanted both of my boys to love the soothies...
But, to no avail... These binkies are known to be the closest to breast and they have cute sizes that go from premie to toddler... We'll get to that later:)
My next try was Nuk. I think these are super cute and really handy when your baby learns to pull them in or out. They also are really easy to create your own fun binkie holder. Ike LOVED the Nuk. Zach HATES them... to each his own:) I have read that Nuks are especially good orthodontically too!
Now, luckily with Ike, these worked out very well... On to Zach... Zachary LOVES Mams. I didn't know much about these except that Ike hated them... Funny how each child has their own likes/dislikes even from birth:) I have grown to like Mams, though they are more difficult keeping in and most stores don't have very many varieties... But, they do calm the little guy, so we love them just the same...

So, my kids love their binkies... I love the mams for older kids 6+ mos (they have cute sayings and patterns), but typically, I don't buy bigger nipple binkies. First, I have smaller babies (so far...) and these bigger binkies seem to consume their little heads. Secondly, I am a firm believer in taking away the binky at age 1. I want it to stop being as soothing before their first birthdays... Terrible, I know. This is when their attachments tend to wane and shortly thereafter, get much stronger. When we took away Ike's binkies at 13 months, it was really more of a challenge to me than him. He had forgotten about it in less than a week. Regardless of when you choose to take it away, be aware that down the road binkies can affect speech and orthodontics, if it is used excessively.
I know there are lots of other binkies out there, some MUCH cuter than the ones my boys chose... Maybe we'll get the chance to test them out next time around, but for now, we sure love the binkie!
So, what do you think? Have any of you had good or bad binky experiences? I'm always open to suggestion! When do you take it away? Any tricks?
Well, in the end, Bless You, Binkie manufacturers!

4 comments:

  1. I LOVE that you have added this new blog. And I will always think it is interesting. About binkies, they saved Lucy from being a thumb-sucker, to which all of my kids seem to be doomed. I am a big advocate because you can take them away when you want (unlike the thumb). Anyway. Good stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree! I feel so blessed Zachy will take the bink:) We'll worry about breaking him later!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh how I wish that my kids would take a bink. Like you I tried every kind with Gav, but he never started the habbit. Dash doesn't know he likes the binky - if I can get it in he likes it. However I can only get it in his mouth about 20 percent of the time. I am not giving up though, by the time he is one he will probably decide he likes it -- then I will take it away.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OK seriously so the way you talk about this it is as if you suck on them yourself LOL! How do you get an opinion? I think you should be a spokes person for Consumer Reports LOL! I Love you! This is great!

    ReplyDelete